Monday, December 6, 2010

Tom’s 196 square mile lease is covered up with antelope and I mean some real dandies.

A respectable number of requests for a good Pronghorn Antelope hunt have crossed my desk and I promised to see what I could uncover. Maryland member, Ron Williams provided me with a lead for an outfitter operating out of Douglas, Wyoming and guaranteed that we would like what he has to offer based on twelve consecutive years of hunting there. I spoke with the owner, Tom White about his company, Tom’s Antelope Adventures and he invited me to come out and see what he had to offer. Ron Williams said that he would come along on the maiden voyage and when I mentioned an Antelope Roundup to ACF member Gene Strie, he said he would come along to help evaluate.

We had to apply for licenses by March 15th and received them in the mail in July. Hotel reservations were made and we headed out for the third week of Tom Whites season arriving in Douglas on the 28th of August. During the trip, we learned that Tom had been running his bowhunting-only operation for 16 years and has 196 sections in his exclusive territory. He has primitive camping available or you may stay in Douglas at a variety of good hotels at reasonable rates.

Tom’s lease is covered up with antelope in big numbers and sizes. Both Ron and Gene filled their tags within the first half-hour of their hunt. I could have filled my tag too, but spent the first day and a half in the blind snapping hundreds of photos of antelope and a wide assortment of critters that came to the water hole for refreshment; it was fantastic! Late in the afternoon of the second day, I took a respectable Billy ending the hunt for our threesome in just over twenty-four hours. Tom and his wrangler, Clark were wonderfully accommodating about helping get the carcasses into the locker plant to be taken care of. Mine was skinned and cut up right at camp and placed in a cooler as I like to have my groceries processed at home.

Read the rest of this article....

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog